WordPress vs. Joomla: Where Joomla beats WordPress
Joomla is a very famous free CMS( content management system) today and I’ve always wondered is it really better than WordPress like some people say!
I tried to search online for comparisons and to be honest couldn’t find a satisfying answer till I recently decided to give it a try and see for myself, and below I will try to explain the areas where Joomla surpasses WordPress and where it fails short.
Joomla beats WordPress in the following situations:
- Sites with huge number of articles as it allows sorting , filtering and ordering articles in many ways to get what you’re looking for in seconds, and allows categorizing them into sections and categories to make managing them real easy.
- Sites that include many authors that contribute to it’s content and requires a delicate balance between their roles with multiple roles and administrators.
- Very Flexible Menus: You can have any article appear in any menu anywhere on the site and control who sees which items in each menu, so registered users see menus differently from visitors.( this is very powerful in my opinion.)
Although I have to admit that it takes time to get used to using menus in Joomla especially for someone with a WordPress background like me!
- Good built-in protection that prevents users and authors from mistakenly hurting the site. In WordPress it’s very easy to ruin everything from the back-end by mistake!
- Built-in messaging center to allow communication between authors, administrators, etc.. without the need to leaving the back-end.
- Modules are quite powerful( they are the Joomla equivalent to WordPress widgets). They almost tie in this area.
Of course, if you’re interested you can always learn more about Joomla here.
Whereas for reasons I love and use WordPress, please, refer to my article, Why WordPress.
Well, that’s about all I could find out myself, so please, share with us what you think and any points I might have missed here.